Followers

Saturday 21 April 2018

Visit to Godhaneshwar Temple


Hello everyone! 

My name is Sharang and through my YouTube channel iroguehermit and my blogs I intend to introduce you to the places I visit.

I was supposed to explore Rajmachi fort last weekend, however it was too late to do so and our rider group settled at visiting Godhaneshwar temple at the fort’s base. The group I usually ride with is TAG-The Avenger Gods, Pune. We gathered near Indira College, Wakad and after a brief introduction and exchanging niceties we headed off to our destination. Our ride began at 7.00 am.

It’s a highway from Wakad to Lonavala. From Lonavala to Godhaneshwar temple, the riding distance is around 15-20 kilometers. Beware! It’s an offroad ride on Kachcha road, filled with boulders, fine reddish soil and the bikes skid. 

We reached at the base of Rajmachi fortification and halted a while near Ganapati Maruti temple for a while, waiting for rest of the riders to join us.We reached near the temple. Have a look at the nearby hills and you can see the fortification on the hills.There is a small pond in front of the temple. Ramrao Naraynrao Deshmukh, the mamlatdar of Danda Rajpuri got this lake constructed in 1780.

There’s a small informative plank near the temple. As visitors, we need to be responsible towards maintaining the sanctity of this temple. This Hemadpanthi styled temple was constructed in 8th century during the reigns of Satavahana. Rocks were cut and placed atop another and this is how it was built. They say that no mortar was used in the temple’s construction. There’s a water spout in the shape of Gomukha or cow’s face. It is said that the water flows from it and fills up the pit below it and from here it flows to the larger pit and then to the pond.This is the Shivalaya. I am guessing the rulers patronized Shaivism or worship of Shiva.The immediate surrounding is covered with still green vegetation with trees of wild fruits and berries.You can spot a statue of Nandi, the vehicle of Shiva at the entrance. It faces the entrance of the sanctum. There is a constructed pit at its back. Although the temple is dedicated to Shiva, just outside the sanctum, there are small idols of other deities as well.


Before entering the sanctum, you’ll have to ring the bell. I guess it is customary to do so. The believers say that ringing the bell creates sounds that helps one be attentive. It also creates positive vibrations in the atmosphere.

The sanctum is a very small room. It has Shivalinga installed inside it and Nagas made of metal hold their hoods atop the Shivalinga. Water drips onto it from a small pot hung from the ceiling. After the worship, it is a custom to take a few rounds around the temple and bring together both of your palms and perform Namaskar and place your forehead on the walls of the temple with reverence. I was fortunate enough to be allowed to enter the sanctum and take a video shoot.

Thanks to the vegetation and the shades of trees around, our offroad journey was eased a bit. Overall, it was a nice offroad riding experience.

 In your comments, do let me know how you feel about visiting this place. Subscribe my YouTube channel i roguehermit, stay updated on tweeter @i_roguehermit, read my blogs on iroguehermit.blogspot.in and follow my Facebook page I Rogue Hermit.

YouTube Video Link - https://youtu.be/DxXe1iBQllM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visit to Godhaneshwar Temple

Hello everyone!  My name is Sharang and through my YouTube channel iroguehermit and my blogs I intend to introduce you to the place...